CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

9.07.2011

10 Moving Tips from an "Expert"

Yes I do believe I can call my self an expert in the area of moving.  I have moved more times than anyone should ever in their entire life, and will probably most likely move some more. 

I moved 10 times before graduating high school, 12 times during my college years, 6 times before I got married, and 3 time since I have been married, soon to be 4 because we are getting ready to move again.  Giving me a grand total of 32 moves in my life time (I'm only 29).  Like I said earlier way more than anyone should ever have to make. 

Most people ask me if I come from a military family and the answer is NO, we just moved all the time.  I really never know what to say when people ask where I'm from?  I usually just end up picking a general location.  I used to dream about what it would be like to be one of those people who have lived in the same house their entire life, it would be nice to not have to move all you precious belongs all the time, but alas that is not my life, I would not trade all of the friends I have collected allong the way for anything. So I'm here to share some tips I have picked up over the years.

1.  Start early, don't leave the packing til the night before or even the week before you move.  I prefer to start a month before the move.  Doing a little every day.  Save yourslef the feelings of being overwhelemed and frustrated. START EARLY!

2.  Get some good sturdy boxes or rubber totes, packing tape, and sharpie.  A variety of sizes are good, but not too big. A good rule is that you should be able to carry any box on your own. Everyone always tells you to use small boxes for heavy objects (like books) and large boxes for lighter objects (like blankets).  This is fine I guess but I have found it annoying to pack that way because it really never works out that nice, which brings me to #3.

3.  Start in one location at a time such as the main living area.  Then take a even smaller area such as a coat closet or game closet.  Make 2 piles and get 1 box.  Giving you 3 places to put things.  One pile "Trash" the other "Give Away"  the box "Keep & Move".  Nothing makes me more mad then to get to my new place and think to myself why in the world did I move this, I never use or I don't even want it. 

4.  Then take whatever size box I have for that area and try to pack everything in that closet into the box.  That way when I get to my new location I can easily unpack one box and be done with an entire area.  If I have too much stuff in that area to fit into one box then I use more, I'm not super strict on the one box per area thing but it is nice when it happens that way.  My only exception is books and canned food.  They are so heavy, if you load up an entire box full of them it will be difficult to lift.  So I either A) plan on some strong men to help me move.  or B) pack 1/2 the box with them and the other half with lighter objects that go in the same place.

5.  Label everything as detailed as you can.  "Master Bathroom: toiletries, soap, towels"  or "Kitchen: pots, pans, can opener"  This helps you find things you need when you need it.  Plus it will help you during the actual move to get things to the right place in your new location.  Whenever I have not labeled things I end up standing in one place, looking into boxes as they come off the truck and directing people to where they go, it is super annoying for me and for the people helping me.  Plus it takes the whole process 10 times longer.  Trust me good clear labeling is worth the little extra time it takes during the packing process.  Also add to boxes "Unpack 1st" to any box that has essentials to living.  This will help you find the things you need without unpacking every box to do so. If you move often, as I do, it is helpful to put the date on each box because sometimes I don't even get to opening up boxes before the next move.

6.  Dedicate an area in your current location to put all the boxes you have packed.  I prefer near the door so that when the truck comes it is super easy & fast for volunteers (family) to load the truck.

7.  If you have started early enough and are organized or care, I like to stack things in my dedicated box place according to how I want them loaded in the truck for travel.  For example things that I want to be in the back of the truck are the closest to the door and things that I want in the front of the truck are furthest from the door.  This really increases the speed in which you can load the truck and ensures things are packed the way you want them packed.  Believe it or not I have moved an entire 3 bedroom house in under 30 min with nothing damaged just doing this simple step, but then again I'm a control freak and crazy about packing getting the smallest truck possible and getting everything in one trip (it runs in my family).

8.  Another tip I have to make yourself an "First Night Kit".  This kit includes things that you will need to start living in your home without unpacking any boxes.  In my kit I put soap to wash my hands, 1 roll of toilet paper, paper towels or a bathroom towel to dry my hands, my toothbrush and other toiletries I need before bed and first thing in the morning, PJ's, and change of clothes. Sometimes I add a pillow and/or blanket but that really just depends on if I needed them to help cushion things during the move or not.  I never try cooking the first night of a move I just plan on either living on non-cook snacks or fast food.

9.  Cleaning your current location.  This can really stink if you leave it to the last day.  I like to do a little for a month.  That way the place is clean when the truck is loaded and ready to go.  I hate coming back the next day to clean.  First, make a list of everything that needs to be cleaned (especially if there is a deposit on the line). Next organize the list giving each item a time frame of when it can be cleaned and what needs to be left to last.  Then everyday I do 1 or 2 things on the list till moving day, and I'm happy because I did not spend hours cleaning the entire place in one day.

10.  Now for an unpacking tip.  If you have labeled everything well then you should have all your boxes in the right place in your new location.  Find the boxes labeled "Unpack 1st" and do them.  Next start in one room of the house and unpack one box at time.  Do a little everyday and you will not be overwhelmed.

Good luck with your next move.  I hope it will be a non-stressful smooth & speedy transition for you.  Wish me luck on my next move coming at the end of September.  And yes, I have already begun the packing.

0 comments: